Friday, June 19, 2009

To Self-Publish or not to Self-Publish?

I’ve just learned a valuable lesson…save your draft before attempting to move to a different page.

Self-publishing is a hot topic these days, particularly as the publishing industry tightens its belt and makes it increasingly difficult for new authors to get a foot in the door. As for me? I certainly plan to self-publish if my book doesn’t get picked up by an agent or editor sooner than later.
So, while I’m stuck in Query Pergatory, I thought I’d share the lessons I’ve learned and my research on the self-publishing industry and how people say you need to go about it to do it successfully.

Distribution

Well, among the key issues self-publishers have is how to get your books on bookstore shelves. Unfornately, I’ve learned that going through some POD services that will put your book on Amazon.com or Barnes and Noble.com will not necessarily mean your book will be available to book stores. And even if it is, you have to offer a significant wholesale discount (55% to be exact) and offer them the ability to return unsold books for them to even consider shelving your book.
So, who have I selected? Lightning Source and Createspace. There is a method to my madness. Lightning source will allow you to make your book available to brick and mortar stores like BN and Borders…and others. You can set your own discount (factoring your royalty into the price) and you can also offer returns (although at a price). Although LS will also make your book available at Amazon.com, Amazon will take the 55% wholessale discount through LS. If you go through CS, they only take 40% which allows you to keep a higher royaltity on your Amazon sales. I could do a whole blog alone on the book pricing and wholesale discount issue along with the math. If anyone is interested, let me know and I’ll be happy to post my research.
So, anyway, with that I’ve selected my distribution.

Next–Marketing.

I’ve decided to keep the marketing cheap because I’m broke. I’m going with the standard postcards, bookmarks, and cheap bookbag giveaways. I have also designed my own press kit using professional template designs so they don’t look amateurish. Of course I set up a website as well. And I’ve started the whole social network thing.

For cheap marketing materials, I recommend gotprint.com (5000 postcards or bookmarks for around $150) and branders.com for other promo items. I’m a real estate agent so I’ve used them for other things as well.

As an unknown author who is self-publishing, I personally believe my most important marketing is my cover. That’s why I paid good money to have an illustrator create my design. I came up with the concept and she made miracles happen. So many self-published books have awful covers, but my advice is that if you’re going to spend a chunk of money anywhere, it should be to have a professional do your cover. Those DIY things on the publishing sites don’t really cut it for my tastes.

Editor

Along those same lines, I’m hiring and editor to do a manuscript review and line edit. I don’t want my work being held up as the example as “what not to do.” If someone kicks out $13.95 for my book, I don’t want them to regret it.
For those of you seeking an editor, the Freelance Editor Association web site has a feature that will allow you to bid your job out based on what you can afford. I’ll add the link to the site as well but it is

http://www.the-efa.org/job/joblist_form.php.

I guess that’s it for starters. I don’t have any dreams of grandeur or getting picked up by a major publisher (although that would be nice). What I do hope is to get an email or comment on my blog from someone who says, “I loved your book!” That would be my biggest thrill.
I’ve posted an excerpt of The Bum Magnet on my site. Just click on the book cover and that’ll take you to my homepage.

Any other ideas on self-publishing? I’m no expert but I’m willing to share my research.

No comments:

Post a Comment