Saturday, June 13, 2009

Write a Sequel to an Unsold Book...Or Not?

Well, I finally think I have the scheduling for my first novel nailed down. I’ve written the book and back cover copy. The cover is designed. Just in case I self-publish, I’ve researched my distribution channels so I can get my book into the stores, I know which companies I’ll use for printing. I’ve got a proofreader looking at it now, then afterward I’ll send it out for some free reviews. Of course, all this will be moot if I get signed. But, best not to put all my eggs in THAT basket. So, anyway, I finally feel settled enough to move forward with my next project.

I have three ideas. One is a sequel to the first novel, the second is a romantic comedy, and the third is a spy novel of some sort (haven’t figured out if there is comedy angle but there’s definitely a romantic angle). So, which do I focus on first? All of them are stories that I want to share with as many people that would like to read them, so I’m moving on to the next level of logic–sales and my audience.

Conventional wisdom says write the sequel, but I haven’t sold the first one, don’t know how it’s going to sell, if it sells, yadda yadda yadda.

If it does sell and I start something completely different, then I may lose my audience.

If it doesn’t sell and I write a sequel, that will be TWO books that don’t sell.

All the voices in my head are pretty strong right now, so I could start any one of them and have enough to complete them. What’s a girl to do?

Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment